Heart disease is one of the leading causes of mortality, morbidity, and disability in the US. Cardiac diseases can be prevented by following healthy habit such as:
- Eating lots of foods high in saturated fat and trans fat may contribute to heart disease.
- Eating foods high in fiber and low in saturated fats, trans fat, and cholesterol can help prevent high cholesterol.
- People with overweight or obesity have a higher risk of heart disease. Carrying extra weight can put extra stress on the heart and blood vessels.
- Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood sugar levels.
- If you do smoke, quitting will lower your risk of heart disease.