- Read the article noted below and review the case of nurse-to-nurse workplace incivility. Assume that this intimidating and disruptive behavior led to a medication error (new nurse didn’t ask the experienced nurse a clarifying question about the medication because of her bullying, intimidating behavior), which caused a preventable adverse outcome.Khadjehturian, R. E. (2012). Stopping the culture of workplace incivility in nursing. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 16(6), 638-639.
- Prepare a memorandum addressing the issue of workplace incivility and discussing procedures how workplace incivility incidents will be addressed, reflecting the requirements of Due Process. The memorandum should have heading Memorandum and formal memo structure. Memoranda (N.B.! this is plural for memorandum, a Latin word) or memos sometimes come to some colleagues who are not aware of the issue, so typically a memo has a subject at the top. It should be direct and concise. As a rule of thumb, memoranda should be brief. There are many sources and tips on the Internet about how to prepare a memorandum for internal communications.
- For example, these links: How to Write a MemoSample MemoTip: Typically, in the first paragraph one introduces a problem or problems. If several problems in the first paragraph are introduced, be sure suggest actions addressing all mentioned problems. In other words, if there are several problems introduced, having only one suggestion that addresses one of these problems would be incorrect.
The initial posting should be prepared as a Microsoft™ Word document, and then post directly to the discussion thread and also attached to the unit discussion thread. There is no minimum or maximum in terms of the word count; however, the response should explicitly address all required components of this discussion assignment. The document should be prepared as a practical business deliverable (single-spaced) and reflect higher-level cognitive processing (analysis, synthesis, and evaluation).
Support the initial posting with at least 3 references of credible or peer-reviewed sources. The in-text citations and the list of references should be consistent with the APA writing style (7th ed.). To earn the maximum number of points for the initial posting, the overall quality of the writing should be consistent with that expected of a college student and industry professional.
It is important that healthcare managers become comfortable receiving and giving constructive criticisms, since this is an important component in one’s professional growth and development, and a core competency for supervisory roles. Students will be expected to read the initial posting of at least TWO peers, and then provide thoughtful comments addressing the following:
- Point out what you perceived to be the strengths of the initial posting along with supporting rationale.
- Identify specific opportunities for improvement regarding the content in the initial posting. Furthermore, you should provide supporting rationale for your stated position, as well as concrete suggestions and guidance intended to strengthen the effectiveness of the content.
Peer responses should be typed directly into the discussion thread and not attached to a posting. Each response should include at least one reference of credible or peer-reviewed sources to support the content within the posting. Proper in-text citations and correctly formatted references should be prepared consistent with the APA writing style (7th ed.). The list of references should be physically positioned at the end of the postings. To earn the maximum number of points for the peer responses, postings should contribute something new to the discussion thread.