Two different assignment
Assignment Overview: Healthcare budgets are often classified by their managerial approach and their design characteristics. This Module’s Case will examine your understanding of the central types of healthcare budgets, and how they are used in the current setting. Production units, as specifically measured units of work volume in a given department or setting of service provision, will also be examined.
Assignment #1: Using the information in the required readings, as well as some additional research in peer-reviewed sources, complete your Case assignment by answering the following:
- Summarize both the benefits and the drawbacks of top-down vs. bottom-up budgeting. Which works best in your current or future setting?
- Concisely describe the eight design characteristics of budgeting. Which do you feel would be most effective in running a for-profit hospital, and why?
- Choose any department in the healthcare setting, and explain how their production units would be effectively measured. How do these production units tie into the larger budgeting process?
Assignment #1 Expectation:
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to support your analysis.
- Provide a response of 3-5 pages, not including title page and references
- As we have multiple required items to be addressed herein, please use subheadings to show where you’re responding to each required item and to ensure that none are omitted.
- Support your paper with peer-reviewed articles and reliable sources. Use at least three references, and a minimum of two of these from peer-reviewed sources
Assignemnt #2: This Module’s SLP is intended to allow you to apply the workings of capital budgeting in an experiential way. Using the assigned background readings, as well as some independent peer-reviewed research of your own, apply the basic principles of capital budgeting to a real life, practical case. Be sure to use subheadings to show where you’re responding to each of the following required items. Include the organization’s capital budget data as an Appendix at the end of your assignment.
- Identify a healthcare organization (inpatient or outpatient, real or fictitious), and explain the various components of their capital budget. Many examples of capital budgets can be located online with a quick search (search for “healthcare capital budget example”). You may also use one of the example budgets in Dr. Nowicki’s textbook (2018); choose one that is presented within the chapters, or one that is included at the very end of the textbook (see required background reading). Once you identify a capital budget to evaluate, be as detailed as you can in your descriptions of the lines and trends.
- Evaluate their cash flow. What critical elements (positive or negative) do you see there? What will be the likely net effect on future of that organization?
- What recommendations do you have for the organization, after seeing their capital budget? Be as specific as you can, backing up your recommendations with peer-reviewed research.
Assignment #2 Expectation:
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to support your analysis.Provide a response of 3-5 pages, not including title page and referencesAs we have multiple required items to be addressed herein, please use subheadings to show where you’re responding to each required item and to ensure that none are omitted.
- Support your paper with peer-reviewed articles and reliable sources. Use at least two peer-reviewed sources. For additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals, see