Teaching Adult Learners/Clinicians Discussion Forum
When thinking about educating practicing clinicians, you’re not only thinking about teaching an adult learner, but also someone who likely is already slightly familiar with the topic/material you’re discussing. Therefore, it’s important to have some background understanding of the theoretical best approaches to teaching this subset of learner.
- Understand potential differences between traditional adult learner and clinical adult learners
- Identify tips and pearls to make your presentations more relevant to the clinical learner
- Evaluate the literature to determine if there is consensus on best practice on delivery of CME (continuing medical Education)
- Prepare an initial post as it relates to the above stated assignment objectives. Thoroughly address and integrate discussion of all objectives into your post.Research will be required for this activity, be sure to cite your sources for full credit
- Engage in a discussion with multiple (2 or more) colleagues. Provide additional insights into your responses to the posts of colleagues as it relates to the assignment objectives that further demonstrate your mastery and understanding of the concepts. This may require additional research. If so, cite your sources.
I have included a copy of two colleagues response for you to read and get some idea about the assignment and the response to two person. You can include your response to these 2 posts as well.
PA 669 Graduate Project Discussion Forum Rubric
Mastery of Topic
As it relates to the
stated objectives of
Use of Resources
• Assigned readings
• Content presented
• Additional research
3: Explicit understanding of topic, critical thinking and integration of concepts; exceeds expectations to meet
2: Understanding of topic implied in some instances; accurate but not fully developed integration of concepts; meets
but does not exceed expectations of assignment objectives
1: Limited evidence of mastery of topic, critical reasoning and/or integration of concepts; needs improvement to
meet assignment objectives
0: No evidence of mastery of topic, critical reasoning or integration of concepts; assignment objectives not met
3: Explicitly and consistently integrates knowledge & concepts gained from course content, and assigned and outside
readings throughout entire discussion including initial post and responses to colleagues; Integrates salient parts of
personal and/or work experience; Exceeds expectations.
2: Frequently demonstrates integration of knowledge & concepts gained from course content, assigned readings and
salient parts of personal and/or work experience. Meets expectations.
1: Implicit or limited evidence of integration or knowledge of concepts gained from course content, assigned
readings and personal and /or work experience throughout discussion including initial post and responses to
colleagues; Needs improvement
0: No evidence of use or integration of readings and/or personal; Does not meet expectations
2: Consistent (95-100%) professional and sensitive communication; communicates concepts using own wording (i.e.
does not cut and paste from outside resources); proper grammar; consistent logical flow of discussion; resources
and citations accurately cited in AMA format; Meets/Exceeds expectations
1: General (80-94%) professional and sensitive communication and/or few grammatical errors; general logical flow
of discussion, resources not cited or inaccurately cited per AMA format. Meets expectations in some areas/needs
improvement in other areas
0: Significant improvement needed in professional and sensitive communication and/or grammar and logical flow of
discussion or citation of resources; Does not meet expectations
2: Full participation in initial and follow-up posts; Meets all deadlines; Meets/Exceeds expectations
1: Limited participation in initial and/or follow-up posts; Some or all submissions passed deadline; Needs
0: No participation; Does not meet expectations
Total Score ________
10 possible points