Current Event Found Poetry Assignment1. Find a news article from within the past two weeks that is about any women’s health
topic in the course. Requirements for news article source:
a. News outlet (not a blog, NOT social media, not Wikipedia). Examples: New York
Times, PBS, NPR, BBC, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, Reuters…
2. Create a “found poem” that tells the story of the article, as you understand it, with
words or phrases from the article. To start, highlight words or phrases that you can use
to send your message. Then use some of them to create a poem that sends your
message. Use only words found in the article, and do not just copy sentences – the
poem is different from the article, and YOU are the author.
Here are some videos to see how some people create found poetry:
Cut and glue method
Simple typed example
artisitc coloring/painting method
3. Write a one paragraph interpretation of your poem to explain to the reader how it tells
the story of your understanding of the women’s health issue in the article.
For full credit (20 points) submit the following 3 items on d2l:
1. A Word doc that includes a link to the article as well as the entire article (copy and pasted),
highlighted/marked for words and phrases that you considered using. If you printed the
article out, you can take a picture of the marked-up article and upload that to show me your
process. 3 points;
2. your found poem with a title (at least 5 lines). This can be a Word doc, OR a photo if you
used a more creative/artistic method like cutting and gluing, coloring, painting, etc. 10
3. and a Word doc with your interpretation of the poem, explaining how it tells the story of your
understanding of the news article (one paragraph). 7 points.
Your interpretation must be in full grammatically correct sentences.